I had my second consultation with my Holistic Nutritionist yesterday. She allotted 90 minutes to go over her findings and discuss a plan to help alleviate my symptoms. You can check why I went to a Holistic Nutritionist in the first place here.
Through her assessment, she feels I am showing weaknesses in my nervous, digestive/intestinal and endocrine systems. There could be several things that may be affecting these issues. A few of them are:
- As we age, our bodies naturally produce fewer digestive enzymes and less stomach acid, making it more difficult to digest and assimilate nutrients.
- Hormonal changes – Hello Peri-menopause!
- Sensitivity to gluten and even dairy – DAMN
- Cravings for sugar may be because blood sugar is being spiked by carbohydrates.
- Lastly, there is a strong possibility that I may be dealing with Candida overgrowth. She strongly feels that this is the main cause of my symptoms.
She gave me two options to think about. The first would be to address her suspicion of Candida overgrowth by following a 15 day cleanse. Here is what my diet would not and would allow: click on the links
Candida diet- Foods not to eat
Candida diet – Foods to eat
Along with the dietary changes, she wants me to take a digestive enzyme with HCI supplement with every meal. She also recommended a Candida cleanse like CandiGone.
My second option is to eliminate offending foods like sugar, carbohydrates, dairy (except probiotic yogurt or Kefir) and grains. She recommended the digestive enzyme supplement as well as a probiotic supplement. She also gave me some recipes to try along with some breakfast, lunch and dinner suggestions.
I am not sure which option is the lesser of the two evils.
She also suggested I make exercise a priority, along with meditation or prayer. So when I left her office, I did what any rational, mature woman would do. I drove to my nearest dollar store, bought the biggest chocolate bar they had and wolfed it down in the parking lot.
From there I went home and did my own research on her suggestions and findings. I have decided to follow her second suggestion for four weeks. At the end of the four weeks, I will access how I am feeling and then have a follow visit with her.
Check back next week to see how my family is surviving, I mean how I am doing.